Thursday, July 26, 2012

despedidas galore.


Alright, despedidas are kind of a big deal in Latin America. So much, that instead of writing a post for each one, I'll just provide a quick recap:

#1:  The first one took place in the section with my boys. Remember? Dirt cups, gummy worms, and all.

#2:  I went out to lunch with my two favorite teachers from the English Department, Sam and Marielos. We ate delicious caesar pizza and tried not to think how I would no longer be working with them.

#3:  The school surprised me with a tasty snack.. in the library! I was totally clueless (despite being in the library ALL morning).

#4:  I brought cupcakes to my English class. We enjoyed them while simultaneously enjoying top-notch artists like Katy Perry and Pitbull.. :) Afterwards, we went outside to snap photos and take videos.
#5:  While still working the library in the afternoon, Flori, Glenda, Stephanie, and I had a quick photo shoot in between the bookshelves. We also ate cupcakes.

#6:  This was the actual despedida. It takes place every time volunteers leave. The kids all put on skits or dances as a way of saying thank you. My little boys dressed up like cows! And my older girls choreographed a dance (and then had me join them, despite my obvious lack of practice).

#7:  That Friday night, we had a volunteer and tio rendezvous in Parramos. A lot of dancing and silliness ensued :)

#8:  I invited my older ano de servicio girls to the library. I had individually written them letters and came up with a game for us to play. Then we went a little crazy on Photo Booth..
#9:  Sam, Erika, and I said adios to the university kids (see post below).

#10:  Eduardo, our taxi man, ever-so-sweetly invited us over to his house! We met his adorable family and then received our last taxi ride from him.

#11:  The final goodbye took place the night before I left. It was definitely the hardest one. Hugs, well wishes, and tears were the theme of the night. Luckily, the boys of San Antonio lightened the mood by presenting me with a Care Bear/Justin Bieber/homemade card combo while throwing feathers at me.  Repeatedly. Laughter obviously ensued :)

This list can't even begin to encompass the number of goodbyes and send-offs that took place during my last few weeks in Guatemala. While incredibly difficult at moments, these despedidas were a wonderful reminder of just how many beautiful individuals I have come to know and been surrounded by this past year <3

1 comment:

  1. Seeing the photos of all of those girls makes me so happy/brings back such fond memories. It's incredibly difficult leaving, but soak everything in. And who knows - you might be back before you know it. :)

    ReplyDelete