Thursday, July 7, 2011

charlie y la fábrica de chocolate.

"Hola! Me llamo Kristina. Soy de los Estados Unidos. Y voy a trabajar en la biblioteca." This is the introduction I say probably about 50982 times a day haha. With la casa (as they adoringly call the orphanage) being so large, there are many people to meet. After getting to know each department and office, our last formal introduction took place in front of the 350 kids at dinnertime. Can I just say that I already love them? After finishing our introductions, a little boy ran up and hugged my leg. Then, once inside the cafeteria, girls called out my name to sit with them. Super cute they are.

Yesterday was my first day on the job! Kinda sorta. Katie (the current volunteer) still holds the position, so it was more of my first day shadowing her on the job. The hours are from 8-1:30 and 2:30-5:30. The mornings consist of a combination of the following: planning with teachers for their class visit to the library, those class visits to the library, little tasks here & there, and going to the English classroom to teach my own group of teens! After the lunch break recreo happens, in which students come into the library on their own to read books, research homework topics, draw, or play games. Not only do I get to know a bunch of the kids, but I also have a lot of variety in my day. I already love it.

Today, one of the classes that had library was in the middle of reading a novel I recognized... "Charlie y La Fabrica de Chocolate" or "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" as you guys know it! I'm looking forward to reading some of my childhood favorites in Spanish with the kids :)

1 comment: