Sunday, July 10, 2011

the weekend in photos.

Friday night was our first venture into Antigua! About 30 minutes away via chicken bus (more to come on this later) is a city that is one of the more well-known, and, therefore, somewhat americanized spots in Guatemala. I predict a few visits there if we ever get tired of the beans and rice diet :) That, plus it has an incredible market to buy anything and everything for cheap! Our night consisted of spinach pizza at a delicious italian restaurant (I told you!) and a pitstop at a local bar where LOTS of dancing took place. I already know I'm going to like the other volunteers with the amount of moves that were busted!

Saturday night = party time! For what, you ask? Why, our volunteer coordinator was turning the big 5-0! For this, we all met in a volunteer house to find colorful flags hanging from the ceiling, latin music blasting from the speakers, and a myriad of appetizers on the table! We mingled the night away until... cake time! Her husband made an incredible, 4-layer, chocolate cake, baked in rum, topped with cherries and tasty frosting. Yeah, YUM. Also, there's this tradition they have here in Guatemala. Basically, your face gets shoved into your own cake haha. And that is precisely what happened to Erika last night. Luckily, I have 6 months to brace myself for this local tradition :)

Today was a wonderfully relaxed Sunday. It began with a run with Erika and Sam (the two girls above). We later headed into Parramos to shop at the local market! It happens every Sunday at the park where street vendors pack themselves together. I may have avoided the fly-infested meat stand, but I did make my way over to the shaded produce stand to get my fix of fruits and veggies! I bought all of the above for only 14 quetzales, which comes out to about $2! Quit the steal, right?

3 comments:

  1. Kristina! I am so proud of you. Your post brought tears to my eyes. I know you will make such an impact on their lives and it looks like they are already impacting yours. Enjoy every minute of your time there and please be careful. I can't wait to visit you. You are truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. giiiiirl, you are already breaking your rules about fruits and veggies with peels ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm drinking the water, eating the fruit, and not taking my malaria pills! i'm kind of a rebel :)

    ReplyDelete